Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chisa, my Home Visit Partner

Chisa is my weekend home visit partner.  I was a little nervous about meeting her at first- my utter inability to make small talk can be difficult.  I was also afraid, without need, that a pair of heels and a layer of makeup might stand between our ability to initially relate.  I was happy to be proved wring, and our first meeting turned out to be easy.  While I am entirely not athletic and Chisa enjoys sports (basketball, badminton, and soccer,) we could connected over many of our interests: movies, travel, and most importantly, food.

Chisa's Boots- I told her that they would work well in Maine...

I didn’t get a chance to go over to Chisa’s home until last week, but we went to 鳥貴族 with one of her friends.  Here is a classic example of japanese politeness; I didn’t know if we were all sharing portions so I let my friends order and decide.  I was hoping to try maybe one or two things on the menu, and wasn’t worried that two small Japanese girls would get portions I couldn’t handle.  After I don’t-know-how-many servings of every thing on the menu, I realized that I may have met my match.  That girl can EAT. There is nothing like a well-earned food coma to bring people together. 

I had a meal with Chisa’s family last week, and got to enjoy again the experience that food and company bring together.  The discomfort of going to someone’s home (and inversely, inviting a stranger into one’s own home), was lightened by laughter; a shared sentiment in any language.  Laughter at Chisa’s small dog, who was determined to make my presence known to EVERYONE in the neighborhood, or my attempts to master “Osaka-ben” by inserting Nandeyanen at inappropriate moments, I eased into my home visit family.

I regret that I didn’t think of taking photos during these experiences, but I got a sequence of good photos at Kansai Gaidai that show these changing comfort levels.  I think it was a bit of a challenge to get photos that were dually for MY project and were photos that reflected Chisa’s personality.  With questions “What do you want me to do?” Or, “where should I stand?” and it is hard to take a photo that is of someone truly being themselves.  I think a sense of humor about these miscommunications helped ease up the process.




1 comment:

  1. You have some nice photos here, and you describe your experiences meeting new people in Japan quite well. But somehow I don't seem to get much information about Chisa herself. Perhaps your perspective here is a bit too reflexive? What or who is the subject of this post?

    ReplyDelete